Char Siu Pork

Chef TQ's Quarantine Cooking

April 2020 | Projects

Char Siu Pork

  • 1 Boneless Pork Shoulder Butt, 4-5#, cut into 4” wide strips
  • 5 Tbsp Salt

 For the Marinade and Glaze

  • 1 C Brown Sugar
  • 1/3 C Honey
  • 1 Tbsp Five Spice Powder
  • 1/3 C Tbsp Hoisin
  • 3 Tbsp Whiskey
  • ¾ tsp Red Food Coloring

Rub the strips of pork with the salt. Place in a 1 Gallon Ziploc Bag.

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, honey, Five Spice, hoisin, whiskey and red food coloring. Whisk together – reserve 25% of the marinade for glazing the next day – but pour the remaining 75% of the liquid over the pork. Mix well in the Ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight. Turn it before you go to sleep to make sure it’s distributed evenly.

30 minutes before you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350F. Set up a turkey roasting pan (one with a rack inserted) and fill up 1/2” of water in the bottom of the pan. Lay the pork strips on the rack and roast for 20 minutes. Baste with some of the reserved liquid. Flip the strips and baste again. Roast for another 20 minutes. Flip all of the strips one more time, and baste again before roasting another 20 minutes. The pork should be just cooked through. Carefully remove the wire rack and set over a baking sheet to cool.

If serving sliced, allow to rest 5-7 minutes before slicing. Or you can cool completely and slice from cold.

If serving for Char Siu Bao Buns, place in a casserole dish or Dutch oven and cover. Add a bit of remaining marinade and cook in the oven for another 30-45 minutes, until the meat breaks down and shreds. Combine with remaining marinade and cool. Stir before filling buns.

 

Char Siu Bao Buns

Makes 15 3” Steamed Bao

  • 1 packet Instant Dry Yeast
  • 360 mL Water
  • 4 C Bread Flour
  • 1/3 C Sugar
  • 3 Tbsp Non Fat Milk Powder
  • 1 Tbsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 7 Tbsp Shortening, Butter or Bacon Fat
  • Vegetable Oil as needed
  • 15 Sheets 4” x 4” Parchment squares

Stir together yeast and water in a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Add remaining ingredients in the order listed, except for vegetable oil.

Mix on lowest speed for 8-10 minutes. The dough should gather into a ball around the dough hook and pull away from the bowl.

Lightly oil a large mixing bowl and put the dough in it, turning to coat with the oil.

Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and put it in a warm place and let dough rise until doubled, for an hour or so.

Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and divide it into 15 equal pieces. Transfer all but one piece back to the bowl, covering with plastic or a towel. Roll the dough into a ball. Then, flatten into a disc with your palm. Use a rolling pin to roll the edges of the disc out to about a 5” circle – leave the center of the dough a bit thicker. Add about ¼ C filling to the center of the dough, then bring the edges up and around the filling. Pinch them together to seal the filling to create a seam.

With the seam side down, cup your hand around the ball, and gently roll the dough into a ball with a few circular motions. Place the ball seam side down on a piece of parchment paper.

Cover the ball loosely with plastic wrap or a towel, repeat with the remaining dough. Let rise for 30 minutes in a warm place.

While rising, bring a pot of water to a boil. Set a steamer basket over it and turn the heat to low, keeping water at a simmer. Place the balls of dough on parchment in the steamer, 1” or so apart. Steam until buns are light and fluffy, 15-20 minutes. They should be touching, or almost touching. Transfer to a wire rack, cover and cool slightly before serving.

You can cool and freeze these as well. To reheat, loosely wrap in a moistened paper towel and place in microwave for 40 seconds.

HUNGRY FOR MORE…try these additional uses for that delicious pork!

Somen Salad

For the Dressing:

  • 4 Tbsp Sugar
  • 1 C Chicken Broth
  • ¼ C Soy
  • 5 Tbsp Sesame Oil
  • ¼ C Mirin

Combine all in a blender until sugar is dissolved.

For the Salad:

  • ½ Head Napa Cabbage
  • 1 C Watercress or Spicy Asian Greens
  • 12oz Somen Noodles (raw weight), blanched, strained, mixed with cold water, drained well and lightly oiled
  • ½ # Char Siu Pork, sliced thin, then julienned
  • 2 C Persian Cucumber, julienned, lightly seasoned with salt
  • 2 C Carrots, multi color, julienned, lightly seasoned with salt
  • 5 C Snap Peas, julienned
  • 5 Large eggs, beaten, fried into thin omelettes, cooled, julienned
  • 1 C Radishes, julienned
  • 4 ea. Scallions, green tops, slice thin with the grain – placed in cold water to curl

To prepare the salad, distribute cabbage and watercress into the bottom of the serving dish.

Cover with somen noodles

Top with horizontal lines of each julienned item

Distribute dressing over the entire salad, using as much as you’d like

Making It Happen

Limelight LogoBelly Flop Logo